MOV file format is created by Apple. This format is compatible with both Mac and Windows platforms. As a multimedia container file format, this file format not only contains multiple tracks but also can store various types of data. In this article, we’re going to discuss how to play MOV files on Windows 10. Actually, serveral methods are available.
Method 1: Playing MOV file with Windows Media Player
Windows Media Player is a default player for windows. You need the latest version of Windows Media Player to play MOV files. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to download Windows Media Player. After downloading it, you have to install the tool.
- You have to download the latest version of Windows Media Player. For this, you have to install 3ivx codec software.
- Then, you have to restart your computer.
- Now, you have to right-click the MOV file which you want to play.
- After clicking on the MOV file, a menu will appear. You have to select “Open with” from the menu.
- Finally, you have to choose Windows Media Player to play the MOV file.
Method 2: Playing MOV files with VLC Media Player
VLC player is a media player free of cost and it is an open-source media player. It is a great tool for Windows to open MOV files. This media player not only plays MOV files but also store various internet radio stations and local media files. This VLC Media Player is a very versatile player for your Windows. The steps of playing MOV file using VLC are given below:
- First, you have to download VLC Media Player on your computer. Then, you have to install the media player.
- Then, you have to open the VLC Media Player to open MOV files.
- Now, you have to click Media, and next, you have to choose “Open File….” And select the MOV file that you want to play.
- Finally, you can enjoy the MOV file in VLC Media Player.
Method 3: Playing MOV files with QuickTime Player
This QuickTime Player is quite similar to Windows Media Player. This QuickTime Player is mostly used in Mac, but it is also a great tool for Windows to play MOV files. The steps of playing MOV files in Windows using QuickTime Player are given below:
- First, you have to download the QuickTime Player on your computer. Then, you have to install the player.
- Next, you have to open this player in your Windows.
- Now, you have to click “File” and then, you have to choose “Open File”.
- Finally, you have to select the MOV file that you want to play and enjoy the program
Method 4: Convert MOV to Windows Media Player Formats on Windows 10
Considering the complicated factors in MOV files, such as 4K & HD, high frame rates 60fps, 120fps, large file size, and advanced codecs H.265, Prores, etc., the best way to open MOV files on Windows 10 and import MOV recordings to HitFilm, Vegas Pro, other editors is to firstly convert MOV into Windows 10-supported formats.
DumboFab Video Converter can handle 4K/HD MOV files well. It supports MOV files (Prores, H.265, H.264, etc.) recorded by iPhone, DJI drones, Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm, other DSLR cameras and lets you convert MOV into Windows 10 formats like AVI, MP4, WMV, 3GP, and 370+ video/audio codecs to let Windows 10 play MOV smoothly. The hardware acceleration can process 4K & large MOV files smoothly with fast speed, no stutters or freezes. The advanced compression engine also allows up to 90% smaller file size.
Step 1. Download and install DumboFab Video Converter on Windows 10 PC or earlier Windows systems. Then launch the software and click Add button to load your MOV files.
Step 2. The Windows 10 MOV converter will accept MOV files in any codecs, resolutions, frame rates. Once loaded, the “Output Profile” window pops up. Scroll down the list and select a Windows 10 friendly format like MP4, AVI, WMV.
Step 3. Then “OK”, set an output folder. Check the Hardware Accelerator on the interface to speed up the converting. Then click Convert and start to convert MOV to Windows 10 formats. Then you should be able to play MOV videos on Windows 10 or 8/7 with Windows Media Player easily.