I have a modest-sized DVD collection that I’d like to rip and store on my Synology NAS. And ultimately manage and access using Plex. Is the best way to rip my DVD library to do it on another machine and then upload the files to the server? How can I rip DVDs to NAS first?
Well, it is not hard to backup DVD to NAS, no matter what NAS devices you using. Ripping movies from DVD is the priority, as long as you choose a compatible format and rip DVD with a professional DVD ripping tool.
What is the best format for ripping DVD to NAS
In order to save DVDs to a NAS drive, you’d better choose H.264 MP4 – MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding (MPEG-4 AVC), is a block-oriented motion-compensation-based video compression standard that is currently one of the most commonly used formats for the recording, compression, and distribution of video content and compatible with almost all the media players and devices.
Someone may be chooce MKV format, since it can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks in one file. However, you should make sure that your terminal devices or players are compatible with MKV files.
How to Copy DVD to NAS device?
As you know the best compatible format for import DVD movies to NAS devices, the second step is choosing an DVD ripping tool, so that you can rip the DVD from DVD disc to H.264 MP4 for your NAS devices. Here DumboFab DVD Ripper comes out, which is an outstanding DVD ripping tool for ripping movies from dvd to play via nas.
- Remove DVD protection. It has strong ability to backup any encrypted DVDs including older and recent ones and remove copy protection from DVD with Disney X-project DRM, Analog Protection, CSS, Sony ArccOS, CSS, UOPs and unlock region code.
- Totally safe. No one would like to take any risks to run an unsafe software. DumboFab DVD Ripper is totally clean. No virus, no adware, no spyware, and no malware.
- Easy to Use. There are just three main steps to charge the whole ripping process: Load DVD > Set Profile > Get Started.
- Speed and quality. DumboFab DVD Ripper makes a balance among faster ripping conversion speed, amazing output video audio quality and smaller file size.
- Considerate backup solution. Apart from ripping DVD to H.264 MP4, it also enables you to rip DVD for directly playback on Android, iOS, Windows based devices. The most import is that you can copy movie only from DVD Disc or backup a DVD with original structures.
Now follow the steps below and backup DVD to NAS.
Tutorial: Rip DVDs to H.264 for NAS
Step 1. Load source DVD.
Input the DVD disc to DVD-ROM. Launch DumboFab DVD Ripper and click the Load DVD button to import the original DVDs you want to put into cloud. It also supports DVD Folder and ISO Image. The DVD ripper supports advanced encryptions like navigation algorithm used in multiple titles. It will easily detect the correct title hiden in DVDs from Disney, Sony, Paramount, etc.
Step 2. Choose a proper output format for cloud storage.
Choose a desired output format profile. If you’ll archive the result file into cloud, make sure the chosen format is supported by the cloud storage service you use. Basically, MP4 (h.264+aac) is recommended, as it strikes the best balance between file size and output quality which is an universal format supported by almost all cloud storage service and multimedia devices.
Tips: Flexible options are offered to further reduce the size of the ripped MP4 video. Click the Settings button beside the profile bar and enter into the “Profile Settings” window. A slew of other variables such the video/audio codecs, pixel dimensions, frame rate, bit rate, audio sampel rate, etc. will help convert a DVD at 7.5GB to a smaller MP4 file at 1.0GB-1.4GB.
Step 3. Start the DVD to NAS ripping.
When all the settings are OK, click “Convert” button to copy DVD for saving to your NAS drive.
What is NAS?
NAS, aka Network-attached storage, put it in a simple way to explain, a personal, small scaled online server for family data storage purpose, which containing one or more hard disk drives, connected to a computer network, providing data access to a group of clients.
Pros of NAS media server:
1. It is easily accessible by a heterogeneous group of clients, one device can handle different purposes for different usages in the same network enviroment.
2. It stores huge amount of data, better useful than computer hard drive or external hard drives.
3. Due to applied RAID strategy of the independent hard-drive array, enhance the data stability and errors such like file missing, file corruption, those common hard-disk issues can hardly happen.